National Association of REALTORS® (NAR)
(To) unite the real estate men of America for the purpose
of effectively exerting a combined influence upon matters affecting
real estate interest.
These words declare the purpose of the 120 delegates, representing 33 real
estate organizations, who met on May 12, 1908 in a Chicago YMCA meeting room
to form the National Association of Real Estate Exchanges, which later became
the National Association of REALTORS®.
This original objective, echoed in the current NAR Mission Statement, has served
to propel the organization for eight decades. The Associations history
is filled with examples of impressive gains in helping to preserve private property
rights, establish fair real estate taxes, and expand Americans access
to home ownership.
The U.S. Constitution insures each individuals right to own real property.
The founding fathers, however, could not have imagined the challenges property
owners would face in the 20th Century.
In 1913, NAR joined the professions of medicine, law, and engineering in formulating
and adopting a Code of Ethics for its members -- a Code which continues to be
the backbone of the organization, promoting honesty and ethics in real estate.
This Code distinguishes REALTORS® from other real estate agents and
is a promise of ethical service to the public.
During the 1930s, Association leadership helped develop four federal
agencies that worked to improve the fkiw if mortgage money. They were: Home
Owners Loan Coporation, the Federal Home Loan Bank System, the Federal Housing
Administration, and the Federal National Mortgage Association. Americans now
had wide access to funds allowing them to borrow up to 80 percent of the value
of their homes. As a result, home ownership soared. Throughout the 50s,
REALTORS® supported credit efforts to help more families afford housing.
The Associations Commitment to protecting citizens rights through
involvement in politics was firmly cemented in 1943 with the formation of the
REALTORS® Washington Committee. This committee later became the REALTORS®
Political Action Committee and works to benefit citizens by supporting the election
of legislators who champion the principles of private property ownership and
the free enterprise system.
With the addition of 400,000 sales associates in 1972, the National Assocation
of REALTORS® became the largest trade association in the country. Today,
NAR represents nearly 800,000 REALTORS® and REALTOR® Associates,
including brokers, sales people, managers, appraisers, counselors, and other
engaged in all aspects of the real estate business. Members belong to one or
more of the 1,826 local Board/Association in 50 states, Guam, Puerto Rico, the
District of Columbia and the Virgin Islands.
Ohio Association of REALTORS® (OAR)
On January 26, 1910, the leadership of various real estate boards in the State
of Ohio gathered together and formed the Ohio Association of Real Estate Boards
(now known as the Ohio Association of REALTORS®). In the early years,
the State Association existed primarily to provide a forum for real estate board
leaders to discuss mutual problems throughout the state and to embark upon programs
of mutual interest and concern. In the mid 1960s, the Association took a dramatic
turn when the membership voted to assess itself special monies to establish
an Education Division and Legislative Division and to hire staff personnel who
would specialize in those two areas.
Today, the Ohio Association of REALTORS® (OAR) is the largest professional
trade association in Ohio with more than 35,000 members from 68 Local Boards/Association
and a staff of 32 full-time employees.
Lorain County Association of REALTORS® (LoCAR)
The Lorain County Association of REALTORS® began as a natural extension
of the movement of persons in the real estate business to unite together and
promote their similar business interests and share experience and information.
The Lorain County Board of REALTORS® was formed in November of 1973
with the merger of the Lorain Board of REALTORS® (chartered in 1927)
and the Elyria Board of REALTORS®(chartered in 1928). In April of 1991,
the Board became the Lorain County Association of REALTORS®.
The Association joined the Northern Ohio Regional Multiple Listing Service
(NORMLS) in January of 1987 and became proportional owners of this regional
information system in December of 1993.
oday, The Lorain County Association of REALTORS® is the Voice
for Real Estate in Lorain County, representing over 600 real estate agents
from 69 different brokerages and 65 companies affliated with the real estate
industry. The daily affairs of the Association are administered by four (4)
Officers and ten (10) Directors elected by the Members, and a staff of three
(3) including an Executive Vice President who reports to the Board of Directors.
The mission of the Lorain County Association of REALTORS® is to service
its members by developing and instituting programs and services to enhance members
ability to conduct their individual business successfully with professional
competency and through combined membership activities to preserve the right
of all to own, transfer, and enjoy the use of real property.